Welcome to the Nightingales!
Hello everyone and welcome back to school. Our teacher is Mrs Lingard and our teaching assistants are Mrs Harrison and Miss Slee.
We are a Year 1 class.
In our English work this half term we will be learning:
- about phonic application in labels and lists. We will be learning how to write these.
- the traditional tales The Gingerbread Man and Three Billy Goats Gruff. We will be sequencing events from the stories and retelling them.
- how to recite poems ready for our harvest festival.
In addition to daily English lessons, the children will also take part in daily phonics lessons and group and individual reading activities.
We also have handwriting lessons every week where we are learning to form our letters correctly. We are going to fit in extra handwriting sessions where possible.
In order to help us become really good readers, we like to read to our grown ups at home as much as possible. We change our reading books on a Monday, Wednesday and a Friday. Please make sure that reading records are filled in and signed when books have been read so that the teachers know that they need changing.
Please hand the book in, in a morning so that it can be changed.
In class we have a book corner.
In our Maths lessons we will be learning about:
- numbers up to 30 and how to represent them using objects and jottings.
- identify numbers one more and one less
- add and subtract numbers to 20
- creating addition and subtraction number sentences
- 2d and 3d shapes and their properties
PE will be on a Thursday and Friday. We will be participating in our dance coach sessions on Thursday and on Friday we will be practicing our fundamental PE skills.
In our science lessons we will be learning all about the germs and Autumn,
In our weekly computing lessons we will be learning how to logon, navigate and access Purplemash. We will all be given our own login codes.
Our theme is "Once Upon a Time". We will be participating in tasting and making gingerbread biscuits and creating and designing bridges.
Please see the theme overview below.
Theme Overview - Globe Trotters, Summer 2
Contact Mrs Lingard
Phonics is extremely important for early reading and writing. Please see below for activities.